Match Report: Wolves U23 2-2 Liverpool U23

Liverpool and Wolves shared the points in a 2-2 draw to progress to the next round of the Premier League International Cup.

Goals from Joe Hardy and Harvey Elliott saw Liverpool come back from two goals behind as Wolves’ Bruno Jordao and Renat Davashov fired them into the lead.


Wolves opened the scoring early on having dominated the opening skirmish – Liverpool failing to clear their lines and Bruno Jordoa finished with a tremendous volley from the edge of the area. 

The home side continued to have the lion share of possession but lacked the final ball often. Their next best chance came in the 37th minute as Renat Dadashov slotted Chem Campbell through who saw his shot blocked. 

Liverpool showed signs of a revival with five minutes to go Neco Williams had a foray into the Wolves half before sweeping a ball into Liam Millar; his flicked effort glancing the far post. 

A similar chance just two minutes later, this time a cross coming from the left-hand side was struck tamely by Joe Hardy. 

The game would burst into life in the second half with three goals in the eight minutes following on from the break. Wolves initially doubling the lead, a composed finish from Dadashov after turning past Ki-Jana Hoever and slotting into the bottom right. 

Liverpool was given a mountain to climb and surmounted it in just five minutes. The first was all made by the brilliance of Liam Millar, skips past him man firing the ball into the box. Chirivella shows some tidy feet before finding Hardy who scores on the turn.

What the first goal provided in teamwork, the second gave us individual brilliance. Harvey Eliott produced an audacious bicycle kick from a corner to equalise the game in the 53rd minute, and he wheeled away to the corner flag with his Liverpool teammates. 

Liverpool continued to look threatening, creating a flurry of corners as the Wolves defence stayed resolute going into the final half an hour. 

Neither team could find the breakthrough, the game beginning to simmer out after an explosive opening to the second half.

Liverpool will progress to the quarter-finals of the competition.