Xhaka comments on transfer rumours

Granit Xhaka is nearly indispensable for Borussia Mönchengladbach. The Swiss international was already a leader under Lucien Favre, but the appointment of Andre Schubert helped him to improve even more. Xhaka now leads the Gladbach squad as a captain and my international top-clubs added him to their scouting lists. Liverpool reportedly want to sign the 23-year-old defensive midfielder leader as well. In an interview with Sport1 Granit Xhaka comments on his current development and a potential transfer to the Premier League.

Granit Xhaka is very proud to be Gladbach’s skipper and enjoys the focus on him. He hopes that Gladbach is able to finish this season well.  Ottmar Hitzfeld recently claimed that Xhaka’s potential transfer fee would be between 30 and 50 million euros. Xhaka reacted to this and said: “When somebody like Ottmar Hitzfeld says this, I’m very honoured. Others should decide whether my market value is between 30 and 50 million euros.” Xhaka added: “Everybody has a childhood dream; for me it’s England. But that does not mean that I will leave Gladbach in the summer. I am very happy at the moment and I will talk to my club.” Afterwards Xhaka got asked if he is tempted to join FC Liverpool or Manchester City  in the summer. The Swiss playmaker answered: “Maybe that will be an option. But the club will make the decision. It’s my duty to concentrate of football. As long as I am here I want to give 100%. I will not force a move. Everything should fit.”

The former Swiss manager told the “Schweizer Tageszeitung Blick”. “Xhaka is an absolute top-player, he could play in every team around the world. Because the game-intelligence, the skill and his vision, I’m sure that clubs will pay 30, 40 or even 50 million euros”. Granit Xhaka’s contract expires in 2019. But he has a €30m buy-out clause in 2017. Therefore Gladbach are likely to sell him this summer for around €50m. Gladbach’s DOF, Max Eberl recently informed the press: “We have the whole power to decide on a transfer this summer. But we would negotiate with other clubs. There is no offer YET”

An update by Sefendo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *